Tuesday 25 March 2014

"I See" said Samuel


The Lord said to Samuel, "How long with you grieve over Saul?  He was a bad king.  Fill your jar with oil and set out to Jesse the Bethlemite, for I have provided a new king among his sons."

"I see," said Samuel.
"No you don't," said the Lord.

Samuel did what the Lord commanded and came to Bethlehem and he said to Jesse and his sons, "Sanctify yourselves and come with me to a feast!"  Samuel sanctified Jesse and his sons and they came to the feast.

When Samuel saw Jesse's oldest son, he saw that Eliab was tall and strong and he thought, "Surely this is the Lord's anointed!" Overjoyed to have found the new king,

"I see!" said Samuel.
"No you don't!" said the Lord.

"Do not look on his appearance or his height, because I have rejected him;  I do not see as you see;  you look at the outward appearance, but I look on the heart."

Then Jesse called Abinadab, his second son, forward and made him walk before Samuel.  Again, Samuel saw that Abinadab was tall and strong with a kingly stature.  Again, overjoyed to have found the new king,

"I see!" said Samuel.
"No you don't!" said the Lord.

God had not choses this son either.  So Jesse made his third son, Shammah walk before Samuel.  And again,

"I see!" said Samuel.
"No you don't!" said the Lord.

Jesse made all seven of his sons walk before Samuel and every one of them was tall and strong and had a kingly stature and each time, Samuel said, "I see!"  and the Lord said, "No you don't!"

"The Lord has chosen none of these," said Samuel to Jesse.  "Are all your sons here?"

Jesse replied, "The youngest, David, is tending the sheep."

So Samuel said, "You must send for him and bring him before me as well.  We will not eat until he comes."

So Jesse sent for David and brought him before Samuel.  Samuel looked him over and saw that he was indeed very young, he looked nothing like his brothers.  There was more boy than man about him and Samuel thought, this couldn't possibly be the chosen one.

Disappointed, Samuel said, "I see just a boy before me"
"No you don't!" said the Lord.

For indeed, David was the chosen of the Lord, "Rise and anoint him, for he is the one," Said the Lord.

So Samuel took his jar of oil and anointed David in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment